Today’s post was inspired by re-watching Volkswagen’s Mini Darth Vadar ad starring the very young Max Page. I did a post about Max on Tuesday because he is scheduled to have open heart surgery today and reportedly told his mother:
“Mom, I don’t have a choice. I have to go through it. I don’t like it and it’s still scary — but I have to. So I think I might as well go through it with a good attitude.”
I am happy to admit that I am not above being inspired by a seven year old. The world is yours Max! Reflecting on the awesomeness of the Volkswagen ad made me think about a few of my favorite or at least memorable commercials that were around when I was, well let’s just say “younger.” 🙂
1. Coca-Cola. Okay I wasn’t alive when this commercial initially aired but I remember it vividly from my childhood and recall even as a wee one thinking to myself “awwwwww”.
Even though I rarely drink the stuff now (like never if I can avoid it) I still appreciate the sentiment they were going for then. Good job ad executives!
2. Pepsi. Alfonso Ribeiro has had a long career in the entertainment industry but this commercial HAS to be a highlight.
It really didn’t matter if it was a music video, an awards show or a commercial, if Michael Jackson was dancing you kinda had to get up and join him – I think it was required.
3. My Buddy. I can only assume this product was created so little boys wouldn’t feel left out. Ditto Teddy Ruxpin.
Two comments from youtube:
(a) “My childhood friend’s dad wouldn’t buy this doll for him because he thought it would turn my friend gay somehow. Now my friend’s a homophobic neo-nazi in jail for beating his wife, and some darkly humorous little voice in me can’t help but think “shoulda bought him the damn doll”. (raggedyanarchist)
(b) “this commercial has been stuck in my head for my entire life” (irunxboxlive)
4. A double-header: Oscar Mayer & Life Cereal
Even then I felt sorry for Mikey. Who knows what else they had in store for him “to try” #shudder.
And now for the ultimate jingle…
5. “Two all beef patties…” you know the rest:
“Big Mac, Fillet-O-Fish, Quarter Pounder French Fries, Icy Coke, Thick Shakes, Sundaes AND Apple Pies! You deserve a break today at McDonalds!”
I vaguely remember a very specific commercial with this jingle but I couldn’t find it. Oh well, on another note, looking at all these ads made me remember that Mickey D’s was KILLING it back in the day!
6. And last but certainly not least – Toys R Us
Now have fun getting those jingles out of your head for the rest of the day. 😉