and it’s a lesson all black men knew back in the day, you could get lynched for even glancing at a white woman letting alone calling one a “slut”, a “prostitute” or “round-heeled” and encouraging her and her friends to post videos of themselves having sex online so you can watch.
MAYbe the comparison is a bit much but really he’s been going hard on a bunch of folks FOR YEARS:
- Called First Lady Michelle Obama “uppity”;
- Called combat veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan “phony soldiers” if they disagreed with his views; and
- He made fun of Michael J. Fox’s Parkinson’s disease, saying that Fox was “faking it for effect” – woooooow.
BUT this time, whoa buddy! This time he ‘dun dunnit now’!!
As everyone HAS to know by now, Rushy Rush choose to vilify a 30 year old female Georgetown law student (Sandra Fluke) for coming out in support of the Obama Administration’s contraception rule.
Ms. Fluke was denied an opportunity to speak at the official “all male” congressional hearing on the matter by Republican Congressman Darrell Issa. In response, the Democrats held an unofficial hearing and Ms. Fluke was re-granted an opportunity to address members of Congress.
An excerpt of her testimony:
“Without insurance coverage, contraception can cost a woman over $3,000 during law school. For a lot of students who, like me, are on public interest scholarships, that’s practically an entire summer’s salary. Forty percent of female students at Georgetown Law report struggling financially as a result of this policy… Just last week, a married female student told me she had to stop using contraception because she couldn’t afford it any longer. Women employed in low wage jobs without contraceptive coverage face the same choice.”
“In the worst cases, women who need this medication for other medical reasons suffer dire consequences. A friend of mine, for example, has polycystic ovarian syndrome and has to take prescription birth control to stop cysts from growing on her ovaries. Her prescription is technically covered by Georgetown insurance because it’s not intended to prevent pregnancy. Under many religious institutions’ insurance plans, it wouldn’t be, and under Senator Blunt’s amendment, Senator Rubio’s bill, or Representative Fortenberry’s bill, there’s no requirement that an exception be made for such medical needs.”
The rest of her testimony goes into more detail about the need for birth control as a means of treating certain medical conditions. The bulk of her testimony was NOT about how large numbers of female students are going broke because they are having so much sex which is the exact point Limbaugh choose to hone in on over and over and over again.
The result of all this hoopla?? Well when the story first broke last week I warned Rush that he didn’t want this fight but guess who didn’t listen to me?? That’s right, he didn’t listen and now…
(1) President Obama brought even more attention to the issue (and scored re-election points) when he called Ms. Fluke to thank her for her support and that her parents should be proud of her – a point Rush questioned. #Obama2012
(2) Rachel Maddow very politely CLOWNED him by pointing out that from his commentary it would appear as though Rush actually doesn’t understand how Birth Control works.
Isn’t that a hoot? You insert your mouth into the national discourse and you don’t even understand the basic premise of the topic. Typical.
(4) Maureen Dowd pointed out that his claim that the contraception rule is more “welfare entitlement” is flat out wrong – “tax dollars would not provide the benefit, employers and insurance companies would” – which goes straight to the heart of his primary rant about taxpayers paying for other people to have sex. WRONG!
(4) Cenk Uygur (“The Young Turks”) challenged Limbaugh to provide an accurate record of his ratings. He pointed out that the “15 to 20 million listeners” that has been claimed is a total fabrication.
and my absolute favorite part?
(5) Advertisers are fleeing in droves and ARE STAYING AWAY even after the apology. The apology that no one believes, the apology that is too little too late and the apology that is really for Clear Channel not for Ms. Fluke
As of Sunday, the following companies have parted ways with Rushy:
- Mortgage lender Quicken Loans
- Mattress retailers Sleep Train and
- Sleep Number
- Online data backup service provider Carbonite
- Software maker Citrix Systems Inc.
- Online legal document services company LegalZoom and
- Flower company ProFlowers
- AND THIS JUST IN – AOL said “bye bye fatboy” as well
You attacked the wrong person this time Rush. Oh and thanks for helping out with re-electing President Obama. Sometimes I forget the fertilizing benefits of manure. Good looking out old dude – ‘preciate it.
Last note, just in case you were wondering what the future Republican nominee for President had to say about the matter: “it’s not the language I would have used.” Really Mitt? So you just would have called her a “ho” and kept it moving? Good to know.
Just so we’re clear, instead of being a true leader and standing up and forcefully denouncing Limbaugh’s comments, you came up with some half-ass response so as not to offend the almighty blowhard who apparently has your entire party by the balls – and now HE’S on the ropes. HA! This. is. GREAT! I am thoroughly enjoying watching your entire party implode.
And you wanna be President of the United States?? Nah son, you ain’t got the chops.