(1) When Host Andy Samberg opened with this joke and I was like “oohh good one!”
“The big story this year, of course, is diversity. This is the most diverse group of nominees in Emmy history, so congratulations Hollywood. You did it. Yeah, racism is over. Don’t fact check that.”
(2) When Regina King won and Taraji was the one to give her the award and they hugged liked sisters and I wept.
(3) When Uzo Aduba from Orange is the New Black took home her second emmy (Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series) and joined a very small group of people who have won in both the comedy and drama categories for the same role.
(4) When Viola Davis’ name was called for Best Actress In A Drama becoming the FIRST black woman to win this award and she and Taraji reenacted #TheColorPurple as she made her way to the stage and I wept all over again #MahKeeDahDah
(5) When Viola gave her acceptance speech and she quoted Harriet Tubman and all of my ancestors joined me in a wail that acknowledged and celebrated all our pain and triumphs.
“‘In my mind, I see a line. And over that line, I see green fields and lovely flowers and beautiful white women with their arms stretched out to me, over that line. But I can’t seem to get there no how. I can’t seem to get over that line.’
That was Harriet Tubman in the 1800s. And let me tell you something: The only thing that separates women of color from anyone else is opportunity. You cannot win an Emmy for roles that are simply not there.
So here’s to all the writers, the awesome people that are Ben Sherwood, Paul Lee, Peter Nowalk, Shonda Rhimes, people who have redefined what it means to be beautiful, to be sexy, to be a leading woman, to be black.
And to the Taraji P. Hensons, the Kerry Washingtons, the Halle Berrys, the Nicole Beharies, the Meagan Goods, to Gabrielle Union: Thank you for taking us over that line. Thank you to the Television Academy. Thank you.”
(6) When Tracy Morgan came on stage and was serious and then he cracked two jokes and I was out of tissue but cried anyway and was so damn happy I got nervous about my heart exploding. SO MANY FEELS!!!