I was going to end last Friday’s weekly recap with this video but as I researched it a little more I realized this young man deserved his own post. Also, I’ve gotten scolded for not giving certain subjects their proper due so I’m trying to do better.
A few of you may already be familiar with the story as it was floating all over the internet last week but for those of you who are utterly clueless – here is the quick synopsis:
A 9-year old, Caine Monroy, spent last summer at his father’s used auto parts shop in East Los Angeles. In order to pass the time he decided to build his own arcade entirely out of cardboard boxes. Yes, you read that correctly CARDBOARD BOXES. [LATimes]
Seriously, this kid is ingenious.
The video came about when a customer – Nirvan Mullick - walked into the store looking for a part for his car. He discovered the arcade and was immediately intrigued. Turns out Mullick was a – wait for it – FILMMAKER (gotta love Los Angeles), and asked Caine’s father if he could make a short film about Caine and his arcade.
Of course Pops said yes and the result:
*In case you’re a snob and prefer Vimeo watching click here for that link.
Result – viral sensation. Details:
(1) Combined 4 million views on Vimeo and YouTube in four days.
(2) Hundreds of online articles.
(3) Television stories by Fox, NBC and CNN.
(4) The owner of a pinball machine store, Pins and Needles, gave him a pinball machine worth thousands of dollars. [LATimes]
And the best thing of all…
(5) A scholarship fund was set up by Mullick which has already raised approximately $164,000!!!!!
Woooooo-Hoooooooo!! Maaaan, this story is AWE-SOME!!
Obama needs to take this kid on the campaign trail with him. Just seems like it might be a good look is all I’m saying.
YOUR next move:
(1) Go to www.CainesArcade.com and donate $1.00 – IT’S A DOLLAR DAMMIT – DO IT!
(2) Go to Caine’s facebook page – www.facebook.com/cainesarcade - and “Like It”. If you can “Like” The Simpsons or Family Guy, you can definitely like this.
(3) Go to the twitter account – www.twitter.com/cainesarcade - and do whatever you’re supposed to do on twitter – follow, retweet, flap your arms real fast – whatever. #twitterhater
(4) Go put your kid to work.
Just kidding. Sorta…
ALSO, if you live in Los Angeles, you should go ‘head and drop by, buy a smart pass ($2.00 gets you 500 turns – it’s a GREAT deal) and give Caine a high-five. I just might check it out myself this weekend. The hours and address are listed below.
From the website:
We know everybody’s excited to visit Caine’s Arcade. If you plan on dropping by, please always check Facebook or Twitter before you come just in case there are any last-minute updates!
Saturday: 8am – 5pm*
Sundays: Next Sunday’s hours will be posted once we know!
Caine’s Arcade (located inside Smart Parts Aftermarket)
538 N. Mission Road
Boyle Heights, CA 90033