Newark Mayor Cory A. Booker seems like he might be feeling himself just a weeeee bit. Yeah yeah he still gets props for being a hero and pulling a woman out of a burning building but I think the “high” is going to his head.
Yesterday on Meet The Press he criticized the Obama Administration’s decision to attack Mitt Romney’s record at Bain, saying:
“I have to just say, from a very personal level, I’m not about to sit here and indict private equity,” Mr. Booker said. “To me, it’s just we’re getting to a ridiculous point in America, especially that I know I live in a state where pension funds, unions and other people are investing in companies like Bain Capital. If you look at the totality of Bain Capital’s record, they’ve done a lot to support businesses, to grow businesses. And this to me, I’m very uncomfortable with.”
“The last point I’ll make is this kind of stuff is nauseating to me on both sides,” Mr. Booker continued. “It’s nauseating to the American public. Enough is enough. Stop attacking private equity. Stop attacking Jeremiah Wright.” (NYT)
A few points:
(1) I think his assessment of the approach is inaccurate. Personally I didn’t view the website (http://www.romneyeconomics.com/ampad) and the ads as an attack on private equity as a failed business model. I viewed it as a legitimate global analysis of Romney’s oft-repeated statement that he created 100,000 jobs during his tenure at Bain. Period.
(2) Sure the state of politics and the “show no mercy” style of campaigning in particular is “nauseating” – duh. So Mr. Booker, are you saying he shouldn’t play the game the way the Republicans are going to play it? That this should be a gentleman’s sport? Are you stupid??? Do you want him to lose?
(3) Listen here homeboy, you got outta pocket with that statement. This is an ELECTION YEAR! It is imperative that democrats do everything possible to present a unified front and you pulling a Palin and “going rouge” is unacceptable. Case in point, the Republicans have already seized upon your comments and undoubtedly will be replaying them OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN for the rest of the election. Bad move Booker, bad move.
(4) Also, I thought one of the criticisms of Obama’s presidency is that he didn’t come down as hard on wall street as he should have and has seemed (at times) to be catering too much to that crowd. Mind you I also tend to find this critique odd because it would make Obama an elitist capitalist socialist?? Ridiculous. I expect better from you Booker. Don’t mess up again.
1. The Billboard Awards were last night. I didn’t watch it however I did hunt down a clip of the Whitney Houston tribute:
Love John Legend but didn’t love that performance. On another note, Jordin Sparks didn’t do too bad with “I’ll Always Love You”. Over all, respectable. And yes, Bobbi Kristina has signed off to do a reality show. Sigh.
2. Another music great has left us. Robin Gibb, one of three brothers who made up the group the Bee Gees, passed away yesterday (May 20th) after a long battle with cancer. He was 62. Here he is performing lead on “I Started A Joke”:
I can honestly say I’ve never heard this song before today. It’s one of those tragically beautiful deeply reflective numbers. Awwwwww, rest in peace Robin.
Finally caught up on my season finales. I’m not going to give anything away – well maybe a quote or two – sorry.
GREY’S ANATOMY – all I’m gonna say is I think the plane crash is lazy writing and I don’t like it. I’m still in for the long haul but I agree with Christina: “I don’t understand how this keeps happening!” Another good line from her: “As soon as we get out of here, I’m getting the hell away from Seattle Grace Mercy Death!” Like for real.
PRIVATE PRACTICE – I keep watching because I’m committed to it but boy is this crew starting to get on my nerves. I agree with Pete, Violet talks too much and her and Sheldon need to take that 24/7 over incessant need to psychoanalyze everyone and every thing crap down eight notches. A person can’t walk in the door without a receiving a diagnosis and god forbid you actually get angry about something and “act out”. Geez.
SCANDAL – LOVE IT! Can’t wait for it to come back in the fall. I’m glad they are finally going to explain why Quinn’s random behind is part of the crew. Her back story is sorely needed and it better be good. On another note, is it just me or does anyone else feel like more people die on this show than on Grey’s???? Bananas but I love it. TWO THUMBS UP!
SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE – Although Lorne Michaels hasn’t officially confirmed that Kristin Wiig, Andy Samberg and Jason Sudeikis are leaving the cast, Kristin had what was clearly a good-bye sketch and Andy acknowledged his departure in a digital short. Apparently Sudeikis just seemed extra emotional and looked like he was about to cry.
“She’s A Rainbow”
Awwww, I’m kinda sad. Still I know she is off to bigger and better things. Yaaaay Kristin!
“Lazy Sunday 2″
Not gonna front, that was funny. BYE GUYS!!!!! Hope Lorne gets some legit replacements but I’m not holding my breath…