I was ignoring this pushback re Obama getting 400k in speaking fees from a Wall Street company but it isn’t dying down so I’m weighing in:
(1) F*ck that noise.
(2) Is he supposed to be some kind of financial martyr? To what end? To prove a point to whom? You don’t have to shortchange your earnings in order to serve your country. IN FACT, being financially comfortable or let’s be real, wealthy, gives you the freedom to serve in a much more expansive manner.
(3) He shouldn’t be properly compensated for his time and expertise? Why not?
(4) Wall Street can d*mn well afford to pay that amount and real talk – it should be more.
(5) Past presidents and other elected officials (i.e, mostly white men) get to collect BIG paper upon leaving office but the Black president is supposed to say “nah, I’m good?” HA!
(6) Y’all do know he spoke at the University of Chicago for free right? #Balance
(7) Has he even announced what he is going to do with the money? To be honest he doesn’t have to tell me what he’s doing with it. He and Michelle have more than earned the right to throw bills on their California King bed and roll around in ’em happy to no longer have to govern on behalf of a bunch of ungrateful racist citizens.
Are people concerned he’s going to trick it off on a yacht or a weekend bacchanal in Miami? He could be saving up to buy a condo in Trump Tower for some next level post-presidential trolling or maybe he might get a membership to Mar-A-Lago so he can roll through the next time a foreign president shows up.
(8) Speaking of, there is a family of legit grifters half-a*ssedly running the government while bilking it for billions but y’all mad at Obama’s 400k speaking fee, yeah okay. Some of y’all are focused on the absolute wrong sh*t. Do better.
(10) F*ck. That. Noise.
Image Credit: Scott Olson—Getty Images