Let me start – Hi, My name is Crescent Muhammad and MY BIRTHDAY IS TOMORROW. I added the birthday part because mine is tomorrow however this post isn’t about birthdays so you don’t have to share yours. I just thought it was important that you know that mine is tomorrow!
Today I’m doing a post about names in part because (a) this week is kinda about me in case you haven’t noticed AND (b) I got wind of two more *celebrity baby names this week and sometimes I really have to ask why? Granted I understand that it is your child and your decision BUT having grown up with an unusual name myself let me tell you it will not always be fun and games for the shorty.
- *Jessica Simpson’s new baby girl: Maxwell Drew
- Rumor has it Levi Johnston’s baby girl will be named: Breeze Beretta
And least we forget about:
- Alicia Silverstone’s son: Bear Blu
- Jason Lee’s son: Pilot Inspektor
- Magician Penn Jillette (Penn & Teller) son’s name is “Zolten” and his daugther’s name is “Moxie CrimeFighter” – SERIOUSLY???!!????
Back to me…
“CRESCENT” is my birth name. It is NOT a name I picked out for myself when I moved to Los Angeles to be a movie star and discovered two streets with the name “Crescent” contained in them. My parents were practicing Muslims and decided that “Crescent” was a legit (and beautiful) name to bestow upon their daughter. Once I got older I agreed with them (thank you wonderful parents of mine!) HOWEVER when I was younger…WHEW…it was not pleasant. Like at all.
1. I ALWAYS had to repeat it. Heck, I still have to do that now.
2. Unless someone was looking at me dead in my mouth, by name alone I may have been mistaken for a boy. Again, this still happens.
Caller: “Hello, may I speak to Mr. Muhammad?”
Me: “Nope, he’s not here.” Click
3. For a while I used the name Christina, it was just easier.
4. I got called Crescent Roll, Crescent Wrench and Croissant on a regular basis. And the few days we spent learning about “The Fertile Crescent” in the 6th grade was a VERY uncomfortable time. And yes, “Crescent Moon” WAS acceptable.
You don’t want to be different when you’re a kid, you just want to fit in and minimize those areas where you could be a target for ridicule. And unfortunately as a kid you have very little control over most of what is happening in your world SO parents do your kids a favor and stop being completely insane.
Granted, I will acknowledge that celebrity kids will not necessarily be rolling with the general population so it is likely they will have less drama in the name arena if only because they will probably be friends with someone whose name is just as weird as theirs. It’s true and you know it. BUT if you are NOT a celebrity and thus your child will NOT be a celebrity kid (like Blue Ivy Carter) then for the love of your child please stop playing them before they even take their first breath. GEEZ!
I know there are an unfortunate amount of wild a*s names out there but here are a few I took from an article:
Don’t sleep I bet real money this kid exists:
As well as this one:
Unique and interesting is one thing, weird and ridiculous is another…